Thursday 19 February 2015

Handmade Scarves

I've been deliberating what to write about for my next post for far too long until there was a knock at the door this morning with an extra special delivery. I love supporting independent store owners on various media outlets such as Etsy and Instagram. It's a great way to have something custom made that is completely unique to anything you can buy in the typical, over-run high street shops. So, today I want to share Shantelle's wonderful talent with you.

Shantelle is the owner of the Etsy shop:
Instagram: @SweetPeaBowBakery

(Her Etsy shop is currently closed but the Instagram account is running and
 keeps us up to date with sale specials and store announcements).

The handmade crafts over at Sweet Pea Bow Bakery come in many different shapes and sizes. As you can tell by the name, the store specializes in custom made hair bows that are attached to an alligator clip which you can accessorize with any outfit. There are also ornaments, jewellery and scarves for sale.

For months and months I have admired the beautiful pieces being made by Shantelle at every and any moment she had available. So when I saw she was hosting an infinity scarf sale on Instagram with new Disney fabrics to raise money for her family, I couldn't resist!

I eagerly awaited for the sale to start and instantly put my name and email down for two of the most wonderfully illustrated fabrics I have ever seen. Here are the two I went for:

The scarf on the left features square images of Belle, Cinderella, Snow White and Rapunzel along with their names printed as a background. The scarf on the right has wonderfully detailed sketches of the Evil Queen, Maleficent, Cruella de Vil and Mother Gothel (who I was very excited to learn was featured as she's not one of the traditional villains!).

These scarves come as a long, closed 'loop' of fabric, sewn together at the ends. The fact that these come nice and long allows you the control over how many times you want to wrap them and how long you want them to sit around your neck. I like my scarves to sit quite close to keep the wind away so I have looped mine around 3 times, but if you want them to sit as more of an accessory then they also look lovely draped around in only 2 loops.

 They are made of great quality, strong fabrics so they feel like they are going to last a very long time. The sewing is impeccable, with a zigzag stitch that is perfectly in line and adds a nice little finishing touch. I'll admit, the wait time on these is a little long but you can really tell that a lot of time and love goes into making each one which makes them completely worth that wait and at
 $20 each* (£13) they're an absolute steal! 

I can't wait to purchase more from this wonderful young lady, I'm definitely planning on snapping up some of her Disney bows some time soon! I hope you all love her work as much as I do.

*prices of the scarves do vary, depending on the fabric.

1 comment:

  1. Your Belle, Cinderella, Snow White, and Rapunzel scarf is adorable! So Cute!!

    www.beautycatt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete